PUENTE DE TRIANA
The Triana Bridge was officially called “Puente de Isabel II”. It was the first permanent bridge to be constructed across the Guadalquivir and it is an excellent example of cast-iron architecture. It was built between 1845 and 1852 by French engineers Bernadet and Steinacher, following the model of the disappeared Parisian Carrousel Bridge. On the side of the Triana quarter, the bridge leads to the area known as “Altozano”, which occupies the site of the former San Jorge castle, a fortress of Islamic origins where the Sevillian Inquisition had its seat.
PUENTE DE LOS REMEDIOS
Preliminary studies for the construction of this bridge began in 1956, and the works were finished in 1968. This bridge was built due to the development of the city on the right bank of the”Dársena”, the inner harbour, especially because of the growth of Los Remedios quarter, which even in the 1950s was considerable.
PUENTE DE SAN TELMO
This bridge, which owes its name to the nearby San Telmo palace, was built between 1925 and August 13, 1931. San Telmo Bridge was the third bridge to see the light of day in Seville, exactly two years after the Alfonso XIII Bridge and almost 80 years after the Triana Bridge. Initially, San Telmo bridge was a functional and movable bridge. In 1968, when the port area was moved downstream to the South, the central part of the bridge was transformed into a third, fixed arch.
MUELLE DE NUEVA YORK
This wharf was built in 1905 and is called New York wharf because the ships that sailed to the United States left from there. After several decades of abandonment and lack of use, the city decided to recover this space as a gardened area of leisure and transformed it into an urban promenade that was inaugurated on October 22, 2012.
MUELLE DE LA SAL
The “Salt wharf” is located at the feet of Isabel II Bridge, on the river bank opposite Triana quarter. All the port area, that went from the Torre del Oro to Puente de Barcas, used to bustle with activity, and this wharf was called Muelle del Barranco. It owes its current name to the fact that it was used to unload the salt that arrived on small vessels from the salt ponds of the Cádiz area. In the year 1992, during the Universal Exposition to commemorate de 500th anniversary of the discovery of the Americas, the Monument to Tolerance, a work by the sculptor Chillida, was placed on the wharf.
MUELLE DE LAS DELICIAS
This wharf is administered by Puerto de Sevilla, the Seville port authority, and serves as a dockage space for deep draught cruise ships. Until the middle of the 20th century, it was mainly used for freight transport, although it was frequented by cruise ships from the 1980s onward.
TORRE DEL ORO
The Gold Tower was constructed in 1221 by the last Almohad governor of Seville, Abu-l-Ula. It had a defensive role, for a chain that closed the entrance to the port went from its feet to the opposite bank of the river. It owes its name either to being once covered by gilded tiles or to the fact that it was used to store the riches that were brought by the ships that returned from the Americas. Currently it serves as Naval Museum and contains ship miniatures, engravings, navigational instruments, sea charts and historical curiosities.